The one thing that has stuck with me every day since my English teacher told me it in middle school is:
"When referring to someone, always say who they are before anything else about them, because being a person always comes first"
Instead of saying “the mentally ill man,” say “the man with a mental illness”
Putting someone’s characteristics (especially negative ones) before them is dehumanizing and rude. Don’t do it.
#buzzfeed presents: 10 gifs that will convince you to watch outlander#LOOK AT THIS VIRGIN GINGER BEEFSTRAP#outlander#how long do you think makeup sat him there like ‘no. we must get his hair PERFECTLY mussed#and like the funniest thing is he’s always like ”HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING FUNNY AND WITTY TO GET CLAIRE TO LOVE ME”#and it’s like you don’t have to say shit bruh#just like literally stand there. stand there in your dumb shirt that’s all you need to do#gonna avoid the gathering at all costS OH CLAIRE HEY WHAT UP GUESS I BETTER ESCORT YOU UP TO THE GATHERING LOL#and murtagh’s hair is just getting whiter and whiter#i love how every old dude has told claire that jamie’s dick be jumpin for her#everyone in this castle knows. EVERYONE#jamie blue eyes (via apriki)
I love that point in a friendship when you get what the other person’s style is - their “thing.” You see a knit jersey tie and think of them immediately; a type of weather, a bad movie, a woman’s outfit. You know, with absolute certainty, that your friend would enjoy this thing with you more than anyone else in the world. You feel closer in that moment of recognition, even if they’re not there.
ϟ Monsters-themed Asks!
- Vampire: Someone offers you a chance at immortality. Do you take it, and why or why not?
- Werewolf: If you had to spend your life with just one person, who would it be?
- Witch: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
- Ghost: Do you have any regrets?
- Frankenstein: Is someone telling you how to live your life, or are you an independent person?
- Mummy: If you were to fall into an eternal sleep, do you think anyone would miss you?
- Zombie: Do you miss anyone right now?
- Faerie: If you could get away with anything, what would you do?
- Nymph: What are you like when you’re by yourself?
- Mermaid: How far would you go to keep the one you love?
- Shapeshifter: What would you change about yourself?
- Banshee: If you knew one of your loved ones/best friends had only one day left to live, how would you spend that last day with them?
- Siren: If you could make anyone do anything, what would you make them do?
- Genie: If you had one wish that would come true and couldn’t be reversed, what would you ask for?
- Fury: What is a word/phrase that you dread to hear?
- Incubus: What would someone have to do to get in your pants?
- Succubus: What’s one thing you can’t live without?
Happy 32nd Birthday Billie Paul Piper (22nd September 1982)
"No Matter what anyone tells you, words and ideas can change the world. We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write Poetry because we are memebers o fthe human race and the human race is filled with passion. Medicine, Law, Business, Engineering: these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, Romance, Love-- These are what we stay alive for."-- Dead Poets Society (1989)
that’s almost too cruel
I had to do this once with Privateer II: The Darkening. It gained a bit when he said “I bet you didn’t play it through, I bet somebody just told you how…” and I was able to smile gently and say “God, possibly, since I wrote the game.” And plainly the Deity was with me that day, as I happened to be carrying docs from my UK agent (who’d done the deal) that showed not only that I was the writer, but the five-figure sum I had been paid. …It was a happy day for me. Not so much for him. I’d never had a referent for the word “slink” for a full grown male before. As in “slink away in utter dejection.” I smiled for at least three days without stopping. And am smiling now… I had completely forgotten about this.
Reblogging because “I beat the game” is fantastic, but “I wrote the damn thing” is even better.
I’m not a gamer but I’ll always reblog these.
Vicious. I love it.
so today my ap art history teacher was teaching us about Hapshetsut the only female pharaoh and he was like “have you seen women they can pop out a baby and be like alright let’s go” and then he walked over to this guy and aimed his fist towards his balls and the guy flinched and held his crotch so he was like “men may be stronger but women are tougher” and then he said “so when someone tells you to grow a pair, they mean ovaries”
My thing is, have sex whenever you decide to want to have sex. You want to have sex on the first night, go ahead. You want to have sex after 20 dates, go ahead. You want to never have sex, go ahead. People think that someone’s sexual choices actually coincide with their personality. If all you can think of someone’s worth is whether they want to have sex or not, then the problem is probably you.